Re: [CH] Superscript usage in "Peppers: Vegetable and Spice

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 09:31:33 -0500

At 10:18 AM 4/25/2003 -0400, Greg Mortensen wrote:
>Chile-Heads:
>
>   I just picked up a copy of Paul Bosland's "Peppers: Vegetable and Spice
>Capsicums", and I have a question about superscript usage.  I'm certain
>that it has something to do with this book being published in the UK. (I'm
>in the USA.)
>
>   On page 61, it states "A solution of 2 g l-1 of potassium nitrate was
>successful in eliminating dormancy of C. annuum seeds."  I'm a bit unclear
>what the superscript "-1" is.  I read that line as "2 grams per liter"; is
>that right?
>
>   On page 127, it states "The typical volume of rockwool currently used is
>about 1.4 l m-2 of greenhouse area."  I read that as "1.4 liters per
>squared meter."
>
>   Lastly, on page 129 we have "Supplementary lighting of 125 umol m-2 s-1
>for 20h was only marginally better than the same intensity for 16 h."  I'm
>not even going to touch that one.
>
>   Perhaps some Briton can explain this superscript usage (especially the
>whole "-" thing); I tried asking one[1] here at work, but he was only
>able to tell me that "ladybugs are called ladybirds" (page 130).

Just a W.A.G. - but, do the superscripts refer to foot notes or end of
chapter references.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!