Re: [CH] Smoker

Scott J. Walter (sjwalter@epicmedia.com)
Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:47:39 -0500

At 03:52 PM 6/9/2003 -0500, Cuchulain Libby wrote:

>Hmmm. I wonder if the brining is doing that. I've heard that brined cuts
>cook faster. I suppose the extra moisture helps the collagen melt faster, or
>like mopping ,190+ is just an old wive's tale. Don't it come out a bit hammy
>though? Intrigued by the idea of spicing a butt...

You ain't the only one intrigued, hound, but I'm also wondering about the
brine.  Thinking along the lines that pork is somewhat denser than
chicken/turkey (which brining is FANTASTIC), I've opted to try an
injection/marinating combo to kick the flavor (and heat profile) up
throughout the meat.

Just started experimenting with this this season (so far, pretty tasty, but
I'm not certain if it's the injection or just the smoke and the habs in the
mop that are makin' me think it's better).  Guess I'll have to keep trying
things.

-Scotty
  "You mean capsaicin ISN'T a food group?"