[CH] Re: Roaster Design

The Geissmans (jgeissman@socal.rr.com)
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:30:48 -0700

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, and pictures.  Based
on the pictures, I made a cylinder from 24 inch wide
1/2 inch wire mesh that came out about 12 inches in
diameter.  I cut 4 inch wide strips into the ends about
4+ inches deep, and folded them in, if you follow,
forming ends to the cylinder, which became approx 16
inches long.  The skewers on the barbeque lock into the
mesh, and it turns with the rotisserie motor.  It seems
there is no need for a solid disk at the ends, I just
have to unfold a bit of the mesh to get the chiles out.
(It would probably handle more weight with a real
frame.)  The mesh is too big to contain Super Chiles
and other small ones, but it should be fine for the
salsa types (New Mexico style).  It looks like the chiles
won't be small this year -- one Large Thick Cayenne must
be 9 inches long already (still green, of course).  One
Cherry Bomb is red, but that's the only red one.  (And so
far six red Early Girl tomatoes, but none of the other
kinds yet.)

Thanks again,
Jim

 > Does anybody have experience with this or with some way
 > to char peppers in relatively large quantities without having
 > to stand over them all the time?
 >
 > TIA
 >
 > Jim Geissman
 > USDA Zone 10, Sunset Zone 18, SoCal

If you do a Google search for "chile roaster" there's a link to Arizona
Chile Roasters:

http://www.chileroastersonline.com/newazchileroasters/homeunits.html

They have several models including a small one for $89.00. I haven't done
business
with them and haven't actually seen their products. If you don't mind
keeping an odd
looking object around for the rest of the year or if you want something to
do on
weekends at farmer's markets, this might be the way to go.

After all, there's nothing like the smell of burning chiles in the morning:-)

Dave Anderson
TLCC
http://www.tough-love.com

From: "Alex Silbajoris" <asilbajo@hotmail.com>

 >From: "Mike Benson" <mbens@execpc.com>

 >At the open fields last year Alex S. had a small over-the-campfire
 >roaster made from off the shelf items, and Hobby Farmer had a larger
 >roaster for use with a propane powered flame thrower.

The Hobby Farmer roaster, with Cardinal Begg at the burner:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/alexsleaves/images/256roasting.JPG

My own roaster basket, on the morning-after embers after Saturday night's
campfire:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/alexsleaves/images/256basket.JPG

For a full-size version, delete the 256 from the file names.  But that may
make the server choke.

For me, the breakthrough came when I found that little basket among some bbq
items at a garden store.  I was able to fabricate the rest from bar and rod.

It's true that these are not often-used, so you have to put up with keeping
it stored all the times you're not using it.  It might be possible to make
one that breaks down flat and stores compactly.  If you could be able to
roll up a flat piece of perforated metal, attach it to round end pieces, and
secure that into a cylinder, all the legs and such could easily fold out or
assemble.