Re: [CH] Roma tomato rot question

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:11:00 -0500

It's BER.  (blossom end rot)

Paste type tomatoes are especially susceptable to BER.  Peppers get it too.

It's usually a failure of the fruit to get calcium from the plant due to stress.  Chances are that your soil has plenty of calcium and so does the plant.  Almost always the problem corrects itself in a few weeks with no outside help needed.

JohnT

----- Original Message -----
From: George A. Starkey
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 8:44 AM
Subject: [CH] Roma tomato rot question

Adjacent to my jalapenos, I have a problem!

I've got a few roma tomato plants that look happy enough, and have
prodigious amounts of 'maters on them... the problem is that the bottom
fifths of some of the tomatoes have shriveled so that they are brown,
some are moldy on the brown parts, and flat. It looks like they've been
stored on a shelf too long. They are for the most part still green.

Help me Obi-wan Chipotle, you're my only hope!

-George in Indiana