Re: [CH] Roma tomato rot question

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:27:29 -0700 (PDT)

George --

The Farmer's Almanac would most likely tell you to add lime, thus increasing
the pH of your soil.  The problem with this is that you don't know how much to
add or what other effects that the lime may have (e.g., what will the addition
of all of that CO3(2-) do to the existing salt chemistry in your pore fluid?).

If it were MY garden, yes, I would add lime.  But I am very hesitant to tell
someone else to add it to their garden without a soil test.  I wish I could be
more definitive, but there are always dangers associated with ammending your
soil prior to getting a proper soil test (which should be less than $5 through
your county extension service).

You could always do a test plot -- i.e., add lime to a small part of your
garden.  Good luck, Friend.

Matt

--- "George A. Starkey" <gas@kdlegal.com> wrote:
> So then, adding lime would be of benefit, correct?
>
> > Help me Obi-wan Chipotle, you're my only hope!
>
> > -George in Indiana

> Pine needles could lower the pH of your soil, adversely affecting
> calcium
> absorption by plant roots.
>
> Matt

=====