Re: [CH] Tomatillo recipe?

Helen L. Gillis (HelenGillis@earthlink.net)
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:55:39 -0400

Hi Diane -
Here's a chile recipe using tomatillos.  Dan actually made it last night.
It's really good.  Enjoy - Helen

Pork Chili Verde with Posole

1 pound tomatillos
2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
Flour (for dredging)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 Yellow onion, chopped (we use Vidalia)
2 Anaheim or Poblanos, chopped
2 Jalapeno, chopped
2 Green Bell peppers, chopped
3 cloves chopped garlic - or to taste
1 ½ cups canned Hominy, drained
½ Cup chopped Cilantro
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 cups chicken stock or water

Turn on the broiler.  Set the tomatillos on a rimmed baking sheet and slide
them under the broiler.  Cook them, turning often, for 5 to 8 minutes until
charred. (or heat a cast iron pan & roast them in that)  Set them aside to
cool.  Chop the tomatillos, reserving all the juices.

Sprinkle the pork  with the salt and pepper and dust it with flour.

In a large kettle, heat the oil.  Add the pork and brown it on all sides.
Remove the pork from the kettle & set aside.

Turn the heat on kettle to medium and add the onion.  Cook for 10 minutes,
stirring often, until it’s soft.  Add the chiles and bell peppers.  Cook,
stirring often, for 4 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.

Stir in the hominy, cilantro, oregano, cumin, chicken stock or water, and
the tomatillos and their juices.  Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and
simmer, partially covered, for 1 ½ hours or until the pork is tender.  It is
better the next day!