Re: [CH] My Red Savinas aren't hot :(

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 08:17:14 -0700 (PDT)

Charlie and Others --

I am growing three Red Savinas this year from N-K -- only one of them has ripe
fruit as of now, and I have only eaten a couple of the chiles, but....  They
had approximately jalapeno heat, possibly cayenne.  I was quite disappointed.

Does someone have a link to a good picture of a ripe Red Savina?  Mine look
like miniature acorn squashes, not like typical habaneros.  I had some seed
last year that someone told me was RS, but the fruits were orange, and shaped
like little acorn squashes, too.

That said, I have three other "types" of RS growing this year -- that is, 12
plants total with RS seed from four different sources.  I will be anxious to
compare, but so far things aren't going well -- I have the duds from N-K, and
one of the other types is actually a red squash (red mushroom).  So, there's
still hope for the other six plants....

Matt

--- Ces <ces@preferred.com> wrote:
> Earlier this year someone posted that that the Red Savinas they grew from
> Northrup-King seed weren't very hot. Looks like I have the same problem. My
> two plants were overwintered and are very healthy and full of fruit, but at
> least the first ones that have turned red have NO heat, now I don't mean
> they're not as hot as I expected I mean they have NO heat at all. Last year
> they had some heat but not nearly what I was expecting so I gave them
> another year. Unless the later fruit improves considerably these plants
> won't be kept over winter again. I will start with seed from somewhere else
> next year. Do you think stressing them might help or are they just duds?.
> I've never had to stress any of my chile plants before to get hot peppers
> and I grow a good variety of hot ones.
>
> Charlie

=====
.