Re: [CH] Growing Chinense in cooler climates

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Tue, 05 Aug 2003 22:02:51 -0700

Vancouver Pepperman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   What I'm looking for are pointers from experienced growers on how to grow
> and care for chinense plants indoors. I'm using an old 4'x2'x1' aquarium and
> four high intensity fluorescent bulbs, two of which are grow-lites. I also
> bought a waterbed heater and thermostat so that I can warm the tank for a
> few chinense plants.(habanero, red savina, fatali).
>
>   I have two problems. The tank is only 2' tall, and I think that most
> plants will want a lot more room to grow. What are the effects of pruning
> the plants as they reach that height? I expect a loss in yield, but will I
> see any bloomage at all?
>
>   Second, if I were to remove the plants from the aquarium when they reach
> the two-foot height, how well do they fare as indoor plants? By my
> understanding, they need bottom heat to establish a root system. But once
> they are well out of their primary growth phase and have started to blossom,
> is this bottom heat still necessary? Must I keep continual heat (23-30 C
> night/day) on them while they are fruiting, or is room temperature enough at
> this point? I read somewhere that it's alright to stress the plants a little
> once they start to bear fruit, and that this practice will produce a hotter
> pepper.
>
>   Last, how realistic is my expectation to grow these plants indoors? I have
> accounted for bottom heat and light - but are there other considerations for
> indoor plants that will affect my fruit yield?
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
> -Mike, Vancouver

Well, well! Mike, I have been growing Thai dragons, habs, hot Portugals,
  in pots over here in Nanaimo, for years. I just gave away a mittful to
a friend that were at least 3 years old. No special care is required,
just stick 'em in a good sized pot, give them lots of water and food
when they are starting, and then when peppers appear, cut back on the
water, stress them a little. They need to be in direct sun at least a
part of the day, and this summer has been ideal. I have tomatoes and
chiles out on a concrete deck, and all of my plants are loaded, and
tomatoes are turning yellow, and I have already had red chiles from one
plant. Have fun, and they would not get 30C night and day, even in
Mexico. Don't baby them...they are a plant, their natural tendancy is to
grow and produce fruit, so just let them do it! I have kept plants over
wintered for a couple of years, and it is possible with good conditions
to keep them for ever. Cheers, Doug on Vancouver Island BC