Re: [CH] Canning Roasted Peppers

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:34:42 -0700

Jack and Toni wrote:
> One thing I read about using "grandmas" canning recipes instead of more
> modern ones is that in the old days they used 7% vinegar instead of
> todays 5 %. But, as we want to pressure can them and that doesn't
> require vinegar I am at a loss as to why quarts are not recommended. To
> some people a quart of peppers might seem a lot but of course on this
> list we know different :):0
>
> Pepper Jack

Jack, 7% pickling vinegar is still available in Canada, and indeed,is
what Marie uses for all her chile sauce & chutney recipes. One of each
is in: http://www.PepperFool.com   click RECIPES then Doug Irvine on the
side bar. And I realy do not see what diff it makes whether qt sealers
are used or not as long as processing instructions are followed.
Goodness, you can buy them that size in the sooooper mkts! Simply ensure
that directions are followed. Cheers, Doug in BC