Re: [CH] OT grils (was smoking chipotles)

AndyB (barnhart@mfire.com)
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:25:13 -0400

I'm in a single, detached home.
I used to use a charcoal grill.  When I read the ingredients of locally
available briquettes, it read like a Dow Chemical list.

Several years ago I switched to a gas, and was terribly disappointed in
the flavor and finally gave it away.

For a couple of years now I've been using a natural wood pellet fired
smoker/roaster.  With respect to safety, it has an internal heavy burn
chamber that itself is protected by heavy steel baffles.  The pellets
completely burn leaving only a small fine, white ash.

I consider this completely safe on my wooden deck.  In some areas, fire
marshals have approved these particular models for use in condos where
gas and charcoal are illegal.

With regard to cooking it has smoke (low), medium, and high settings. It
works on the principles of a smoker and a convection oven.  On the smoke
setting, the temperature is about 185° and food can be left in for hours
with minimal attendance, without drying out (I presume the water of
combustion contributes to this). Among many purposes, this setting is
great for turning Jalapeņos into Chipotles. (On-topic tokenism <G>).

For less smoke flavor and faster cooking, use the medium or high
settings.  For barbecue, slow smoke for hours, then set to high to
lightly char the outside.  Medium is great for lightly smoking-poaching
salmon.

For further info, contact me offline.
AndyB
barnhart@mfire.com