[CH] Dubai

Dan Turkette (dan@tekinteractive.com)
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:01:35 -0500

I'm going to Dubai, which is in the U.A.E., (United Arab Emirates) on the
Persian Gulf on Sept 8th. FTR, I've been invited as part of the USDA's
international trade program to present *American style* cooking shows at an
international trade show for seven days. You can bet *hot* will be on the
menu.

I've researched the customs and found interesting several items:

1). Avoid admiring an item to an excess, your host may feel obligated to
give it to you. When offered a gift, it is impolite to refuse.

Hey, nice chili pepper plant you got there... (k.. I could get carried away)

2). The left hand is considered unclean and reserved for hygiene. Gesture
and eat with the right hand.

Just back from the boys room I exclaim, "hey, I'm right handed"...

3). Men walking hand in hand is a sign a friendship

Yeah, well... Not me.

4). Pork is illegal

There goes one of my menu plans; pork tenderloin encrusted with a
chipotle/adobo rub...

4). The worst: Despite the heat, most of the body must always remain
covered.

The prediction for the next week is 104 average during the day, 83 at
night...<ouch>

So off I venture, a blond hair, blue eyed guy in the Arab world, not to
mentioned being in the gulf in these tenuous times...

Anyway, I'm taking requests. I don't know of any peppers that are indigenous
to the region but Dubai was once the center of the spice trade in the middle
east. I intend on visiting Dubai's famous spice market, where they sell
everything from dried rose petals to curry powder. Reasonable requests will
be accepted, short of asking for a turban. :-)

Regards,
Daniel H Turkette
President & Executive Chef
The Great American Spice Co Inc