Re: [CH] How to make sauces less sweet

Pete (pekiwa@caveland.net)
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:53:58 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vancouver Pepperman" <vanpepperman@shaw.ca>
To: "Chile Heads" <Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2003 12:29 AM
Subject: [CH] How to make sauces less sweet

>   Second problem: Is there a way to dry peppers without a dehydrator or
> oven? A friend told me just to place them in a paper towel on the counter
> and let them sit for a while. Will they go bad if I do this? Using this
> method, will the peppers get dry enough to preserve or turn into pepper
> flakes?
>
> The Vancouver Pepperman

I don't know what to tell you for the first problem.

Regarding the second problem, I suppose it depends on what kinds of peppers
you have growing.  We typically freeze for stuffing and chopped for adding
to our cooking those peppers with too thick of walls to dehydrate
effectively, or too delicious to want to.  Other than that, stringing them
is always our first choice, with dehydrating as the alternative, depending
on how thick the walls are.  (If the walls are too thick, the peppers might
take too long to dry and will start molding.  That's when the dehydrator
comes in handy.)   The ristras look great hung in the kitchen and almost any
other place in the house, and make great ornaments for the Christmas tree-
beautiful!!!  Of course, you can also smoke, or can them in jars as well.

Hope that helps ya.

Pete