RE: [CH] Achar masala and momoya xo-jan

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:37:08 -0500

Alex,

The unusual ingredient is "Asafoetida".  I've included a few links to
describe the spice, its production and uses.  It is best used in small
quantities.  Many Indian recipies call for "toasting" or otherwise heating
the spices (slowly in a low to medium heat frying pan) to prepare them for
use.  The spice is basically a dried and ground product of the milk of
plants in the giant fennel family.  It is rather foul smelling in its raw
form.

A Masala is simply a mixture of spices.  If the people at the grocery are
knowledgeable, they should be able to tell you what the particular mix is
for and how to use it.  You can experiment from there, once you understand
the basic use and methodology.

	http://www.iisr.org/spices/asafoetida.htm

	http://www.agriculture-industry-india.com/spices/asafoetida.html

	http://www.fatfree.com/archive/2000/dec/msg00154.html

I have a recipe for Indian Lime Pickle that uses the spice.  I got it from a
friend who was born and grew up in Bangalore.  It is his Mother's recipe.
The pickles use whole limes, chiles, oil and spices.  E-mail me privately if
you want it.

Blue skies,
Frank