[CH] Re: Tepin Seeds

Luke Speer (radomvis35@midcoast.com.au)
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:42:35 +1100

17/12/2003 12:32:08 PM, carl.hoddy@centrelink.gov.au wrote:

 To:     radomvis35@midcoast.com.au
 Subject:Tepin Seeds
  From:   carl.hoddy@centrelink.gov.au
 Date:   Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:32:08 +1100

 Hi Luke,

  I am fairly new to the Chile List and are very keen to disprove the myth
  that chile plants wont grow here in Tassie.
  Do you have any trouble swapping seeds with List folk living overseas. I
  thought our customs laws prevent seeds coming through the mail without
  stringent washing, packaging, etc.
 I don't have anything viable to swap at this stage, (very hard to even
  purchase a chile plant, let alone seeds from the local nursery down here!!!)
  but if you have some spare seeds, I am happy to give them a go down here.
 You sound as though you have been in the chile game for a while, so would
  appreciate any suggestions to source more seed varieties.
 Cheers,
  Carl
znip.//
send me yr snail mail addy
Hi Carl If a 49yr old Pole living in Coffs can grow these anybody can.
beware the suckers are hard to germinate..

I will send you some fruit on recipt of yr addy.

visit your local doctor and get  couple of dispo scalpels,
cut the chiles in half and scrape out the seeds , not many ,
3 methods, use all 3 till you find the one that works for you

1/ soak seeds in  5-10% bleach solution for 30 minutes then plant ..
2/ use 600 wet and dry sandpaper to lightly sand the seed then plant...
3/ bird shit ! excuzez moi francais, find some bird shit pigeon whatever etc coat the seed then
plant. ..

planting medium
i use premium grade seed raising mix/ from a reputable nursery/ not the local woolies/ I start
them off in semi shade/ inside on the top of the tv/hot water system also workx well- heat is
required/when they get to quad-cot 4 leaves i put them in a larger pot 4 inch then 6 inch then in
the ground..I use a foliar spray of epsom salts from time to time

I use potting mix again from a reputable nursery in 8 to 10 inch wide fibre cement tubes 2 ft
deep, and cover the top with red scoria (decomosed granite).
I keep the water up to the plants till I see 30-40 leaves , then tail it back as these are a dry
garden plant ..
We have not had much rain this yr and the mother Tepin has suffered, fruited already and lost its
leaves , younger plants are thriving though
800= chiles last yr lucky to get 100 this yr bush is still 380 mm high and 680 wide
FWIW 2nd yr drought conditions 1/2 hr watering the garden with hose on alternte days is the law

thats it folks
luke in Oz
converting the unenlightned
got one the other daY with br Jims (stupid hot sauce) (tm)probably made for me )
ALL LIST MEMBERS HAIL BROTHER JIM..!!!!!!!!!!!!
POOR FOOL THOUGHT TABASCO (tm)was mild... he did come back for seconds though//////