[CH] Re: Pubescent in the Andes [v8 #738]

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:04:44 -0600

>Does this contradict my impression that they will not set
>fruit so well when being fed N fertilizer?

Cameron,

Yes.  I first got the idea from reading the Jean Andrews book "Peppers: The Domesticated Capsicums"  (page 56)  More on that in a future post.

Just yesterday I spent time on the USDA site trying to make sense of why some of my 25+ different C. pubs did so well as first year plants and others did so poorly.  I'm growing ones from Guatemala, Peru, Mexico, Ecuador, Costa Rica & Bolivia.  They were collected in the wild from elevations differing by thousands of feet.  Presumably soil, humidity & temperatures varied quite a bit too, but I don't know for a fact.

One example of an accession that blossomed & set pods profusely in greatly varying temperatures is PI 387838. (Bolivia)  6 accessions that I'm growing have yet to give up a single ripe pod since their seed start on 15 Feb 2003 & 5 of them were from Guatemala.  (had hoped for the 'insanity pepper')

I'm guessing that this time next year we will have a lot more comparisons to make.  I've sent saved seeds to 7 countries so far and hopefully the recipients will share what their results were.

Disclaimer:  I'm not a pepper expert, will never be one & don't even try to pretend that I am.  Sure do love growing & eating them though.

Hot regards,
JohnT