Re: [CH] More C. pubescens V8 #741

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 09:13:47 -0600

> Have you ever seen a red rocoto as big as the yellow one shown in your hand?

Cameron,

Yes, I have.  This one weighed exactly the same (45 grams) as the yellow one.

http://www.fototime.com/26C252E77735A48/standard.jpg

And I have an orange rocoto in the green stage that will be about the same size when ripe.  What I would like to know is what determines how large the pods will be?  My 2nd year pods are larger than the 1st year pods so age must play some part.  Do the # of petals on the blossom play a role?  My red rocoto had flowers ranging from 4-9 petals last summer.  I color marked with yarn about a hundred blossoms, but only the 7 petal blossoms set pods.  Weird.  Am guessing that the # of set fruit on the plant plays some role.

A couple days ago I had my 4th ripe C. pub accession from Guatemala.  A beautiful orange pod of 45 grams.  4 lobes, black seeds & hot.  I'm terrible at using Photoshop & got the pod color perfect, but the background leaves aren't green like they should be.

http://www.fototime.com/15632A0C0BF3988/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/141EEC99F077B7B/orig.jpg