Re: [CH] Re: Capsaicin in the (chemists) news; rocotos V8 #743

Joy Williams (hummingbird_@earthlink.net)
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:50:21 -0800

from my understanding the scoville was completely based on how a person
reacted in the first place.
units were based on how many squirts of water it would take to cool down.

I'm not a fan of habs because I find them relatively bitter and overpowering.

At 08:37 AM 2/12/2004 -0500, Cameron Begg wrote:
>Hi C-H's,
>
>Thanks for the links Gene.
>
>You asked:
>>I haven't had any tepins that I considered 'hotter' than habs [as the
>>letter writer claims]. But maybe my 'Birdseye' tepin is not as
>>powerful as the wild ones. Comments?
>
>As you may be aware the debate over which type of pepper is "hotter" crops
>up (pun intended) here from time to time. I used to grow tepins and can
>assure you that from my experience they are incredibly hot. It could be
>that your pampered tame tepins have less of a kick than the wild ones.
>They may also have cross bred with another less pungent variety. Even
>without those variables we know that pungency varies from plant to plant
>and even from pod to pod on the same plant.
>
>So to the question "Which is hotter?", my answer is "Who cares?" There
>could well be individual differences in peoples' sensitivity to different
>capsaicins. I might think tepins are hotter than savinas and you may not.
>No amount of Scovilles and GLC results are going to change those perceptions.
>--
>---
>                      Regards,               Cameron.

Bright Blessings!