Re: [CH] Composting

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 09:06:24 -0800 (PST)

Man, there are a ton of links out there depending on what you are after.

I have investigated this for myself since I have a lot of organic material from the garden
throughout the season but especially in the fall.  Since I live in the Indianapolis Suburbia area
on the west side of Indy, I've got to be careful about that.

Something that interests me is those barrels you put your organics in for composting.  You turn
those one full cycle each week.  Would be good for a small area like we have at our house.

The one I've looked at recently quite a bit is here:

http://vegweb.com/composting/

I've also looked into "worm composting".  There's a book out there on that...but I haven't bought
it yet.  Sounds interesting.  ;)

Ted

--- Byron <byronbromley@tellink.net> wrote:
> Anyone really up on, or have a good link to composting ?
>
> I am aware that freah manure, like chicken is very high in nitrogen,  I
> am also aware that sawdust/wood products suck up a lot of nitrogen while
> decomposing .
>
> There is also a desired C:N ratio for composting
>
> I need to find the correct ratio of chicken/cow/sheep manure to sawdust
>
> My goal is to get some of each, mix, and do a "garbage bag" compost for
> 4 to 6 weeks,  then place some chile/tomato plants right into to the bag
> and see what happens.
>
> TIA
> L.B.

=====
Signal Corps:  -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing...