Re: [CH] Blue Garlic and ISO Uncle Dirty Dave

Buffalo Sue (bflosue@earthlink.net)
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:48:36 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

It's due to a chemical reaction.  From http://www.picklenet.com/sections/askpetequestions/bluegarlic.htm:

- Why has my pickled garlic turned blue?

- Raw garlic contains an enzyme that if not inactivated by heat reacts with sulphur (in the garlic) and copper (from water or utensils) to form copper sulphate. The amount of copper needed for this reaction is very small and is frequently found in normal water supplies. Blue garlic is still safe to eat, although if other signs of spoilage are present, discard.

-----Original Message-----
From: Love2Troll <Love2Troll@kc.rr.com>
Sent: Mar 5, 2004 1:10 PM
To: "T. Matthew Evans" <tmattevans@yahoo.com>,
	Chile Heads <Chile-Heads@globalgarden.com>
Subject: Re: [CH] Blue Garlic and ISO Uncle Dirty Dave

Matt,

I really wonder why your garlic turns blue?  Ever since I bought "The Joy of Pickling" about 5 years ago I've refrigerator pickled just about everything imaginable.  And I want some of that blue garlic.  LOL

There are about 4-5 recipes for pickled garlic in the book & none of them mention garlic turning blue.  If anyone wants I'll post the recipes.

Only thing I can think of is iodized salt or maybe cider vinegar.  Do you refrigerate?  3 of the recipes say to refrigerate & the 4th says to store in a cool, dark place.

I've had trouble with onion rings turning dark and pepper slices getting soft.  Since I started liming everything first I've not had that problem.

My basic refrigerator pickle method is very simple:

Equal parts sugar and white vinegar
Pickling spice  (I like Tones)

Heat the vinegar just enough to dissolve the sugar.  Let the mixture cool.  Pour over whatever you are pickling & refrigerate.  I do slice everything including the garlic.  No salt at all in my mix.

JohnT