Re: [Fwd: Re: [CH] news item: El Paso Pepper Producer (chipotles)]

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:22:59 -0700 (PDT)

Peter and AndyB --

Actually, I don't think that the article is referring to hydrogen peroxide
being mixed with another acid -- otherwise, I don't think that they would refer
to it as "peroxide acid".  Here's my thought -- when hydrogen peroxide (a thick
syrupy liquid) is mixed with water (like the hydrogen peroxide you buy at the
drugstore), it forms a weak acid.

Hydrogen peroxide has a dissociation constant (Ka1) of about 2.4e-12, meaning
that when mixed with water, it loses some of its hydrogen ions.  These stray
hydrogens lower the pH of the mixture (remember, pH = -log[H+]) and viola,
you've got a weak acid.  I just did some "back of the envelope" calculations,
and I think that the pH of store-bought hydrogen peroxide should be about 5.8
-- less than seven.  It would be interesting if someone with a pH meter could
check this -- my number should not be exact because I don't know the actual
process used to make the peroxide (e.g., 3% by mass or by volume?) and I did
not take into account vapor equilibrium (i.e., there is a constant exchange of
chemicals across the free surface of the peroxide).

Remember, I'm not really a dilute solution chemist, I just play one on the
Internet.

Matt