RE: [CH] news item: Man dies after chicken wing-eating contest

Jeff Porter (Jeff.Porter@mindspring.com)
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:49:33 -0400

OK, had to share this one with the group....I went to the grand daddy of the
chicken wing eating contests.....The Wing Bowl in Philadelphia this year.
Its an annual event in its 12th year sponsored by a local radio station.
They hold it at the Wachovia Center where the Sixers and Flyers play.  And
believe it or not, its free - free admission, free parking, free fun.  They
open the doors at 5:30am and its over by 9am.  Imagine 24,000 people (99%
male) all drinking and carrying on that early.  The few females that do show
up are either part of the event itself (they have wingettes that assist the
competitors like at a boxing match) or get a little crazy at the
encouragement of the raging testorone (think girls gone wild).  It was alot
of fun that I will surely not miss out on in the future.  The winner was a
100 pound woman who out ate men that weighed 4 times her!  She ate 167
wings.  I've included a few links for those interested to check out.  Be
sure to see the slideshow in the first link.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/special_packages/wingbow/

http://www.610wip.com/viewentry.asp?ID=289203&PT=Contests%20and%20Events

By the way, I've started plants from seed this year....Red Habenero, Limon,
Aji Purple, Medusa, Biker Billy....all are going well.  Planning a raised
bed garden too.

-JP-