Re: [CH] 19th & Early To Mid 20th Century Chili References

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 19:25:23 -0700

=Mark wrote:

>Peppers: A Story of Hot Pursuits
>by Amal Naj
>
>Paperback: 245 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 8.00 x 0.75 x 5.25
>Publisher: Vintage Books USA; Reprint edition (August 1, 1993)
>ASIN: 0679744274
>
>http://tinyurl.com/28qf4
>
>--
>=Mark
>
>http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens

Well, I can certainly second that suggestion of =Mark's as I have that
book, and have read it twice. Here is a guy, brought up in India, with
very little  knowledge of chile peppers, who being "marooned in Belfast,
northern Ireland" with VERY bland food, cried for help from a friend in
London, who sent him a care pkg of chile peppers....poor guy had met his
Waterloo, for that started him on a quest, which culminated in his
writing a very interesting book, on the history of the chile pepper. I
bought this book from Rob Lusk, who owns PepperFool:
http://www.PepperFool.com    where a bunch of my recipes are archived,
along with Risa Gs' and a lot of others. Rob has a lot of other books
available, as well as other stuff you might find interesting. I can
attest to the bland food of Belfast, for that is where my parents
originated from, and it was bland food  for me from day 1, until I hit
southern California, in 1946, when I was 20! Got hooked, never looked
back! Cheers, Doug on Vancouver Island BC