Re: [CH] Rocotos are ripe!

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:18:37 -0500

Rob Pieters writes:

> I'll see if I can put some pictures somewhere on the net in a couple of
weeks if someone is interested of the plants I have.

Rob,

I would sure like to see them.  We have also been experiencing a very cool & wet summer here in Missouri.  Other than all the rain I don't think could have asked for better weather to grow C. pubescens.  However, they have their own rules and some did very well and others did terrible.

More Rob:

> Don't know why, but perhaps when they have more room (for the roots) they
work harder on there roots than on growing in height, also possible is the
soil temperature, the soil gets heated up much more in a pot than in the
ground.

I agree.  My container plants always fruit earlier than my neighbors plants in the ground and I've always thought that the extra warmth in my black containers has helped.  Quite by accident I learned that too small a container forces a plant to fruit earlier.  I always keep extra plants in 1 gal containers as a backup to the ones in larger containers.  The backups always set pods before the others.  Not as many pods, but always earlier.

My C. pubescens have only recently started to get their color back.  During the heat of the summer they always get pale & it irritates me to no end.  Still experimenting with fertilizers and have gone to compost tea this year.

The C. pubs seem to be very selective as to where they will do well.  Paul K (the NorthEast ChileMan) had phenomenal success with varieties that I sent him & the same ones did poorly for me.  He is a couple gardening zones cooler than where I am.

I don't use pesticides anymore and have had an extremely pest free year with one exception.  Grasshoppers!  They have ruined many pods in the last month.  Darned things perch on a pod and eat a nice round hole into the young green ones & then move on to another pod.  It ruins the pods.  Here is a small green orange rocoto:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Love2Troll/9-7-043.jpg  Soon it will look like this orange rocoto:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Love2Troll/9-7-044.jpg  About 1/3 full size and already turning color.  They do seem to be rather compassionate to their fellow hoppers though.  Here is one that is obviously giving a ride to a tired companion:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Love2Troll/9-7-045.jpg  Brings tears to my eyes.  "He's not heavy, he's my brother"

You have to look close, but all these 2nd year plants are in containers.  And most are 2 plants to a container.  I'm 6' 2" and they easily tower over me.  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Love2Troll/9-7-041.jpg  And another:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/Love2Troll/9-7-042.jpg  There are some C. pub accessions that have not produced a single ripe pod yet this year.  Some of those are recently loaded with lots of small green pods.  Others are complete duds for my growing area and won't be overwintered in my basement.  Just like kids they all seem to have unique personalities.

Rob, maybe we can do some seed sharing this fall?  Anyways, am looking forward to seeing your pictures.

jt