Re: [CH] Ajvar

Myron Menaker (myronm@bellsouth.net)
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:56:53 -0400

For the adventurous....I found this recipe for Ajvar in USENET....and
now I know how to pronounce it!

Sounds to me like a spicy version of "baba ganoush!"

                              Myron in Hurricane Alley

Ajvar
(pronounced: eye-vaar)

Ajvar is a popular appetizer or side dish made of roast peppers, ripe
tomatoes; and even string beans can be combined into Ajvar. Ajvar is a
seasonal dish in Macedonia, always made in late summer and early autumn,
just after the paprika harvest, when many households also can or bottle
their own Ajvar for use throughout the winter season.

8-12 fresh red peppers (mild or medium-hot, to taste)
4 medium-size eggplants
1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, minced
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar)
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Roast the peppers and eggplants over charcoal or a gas flame, or bake
them in a preheated 475 F oven, until the skin is blistered and
darkened.  Place the roasted vegetables in a paper bag and let them
steam in their own heat for 10 minutes.  Peel off and discard the burnt
skin along with the steams and seeds.  Mash the peppers and eggplant
pulp together to form a slightly chunky mass.  You can do this with a
fork or in a food processor.  Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large
skillet and saute the onion until very soft.  Add garlic and cook for 2
more minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper-eggplant
pulp, mixing well.  Slowly drizzle the remaining oil into the mixture,
stirring constantly to incorporate all of the oil.  Add lemon juice or
vinegar, and salt and pepper, to taste.  Transfer to a serving bowl and
garnish with parsley.  Serve as an appetizer to spread on thick slices
of country-style white bread or flat pita bread with chunks of feta
cheese, or use as a side dish to accompany grilled or roasted meats.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings, as an appetizer or side dish.

--

Greetings from Daytona Beach, Florida        |