RE: [CH] Ajvar

Frank J. Hashek (fhashek@comcast.net)
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 15:50:13 -0500

Joy,

While I am a fan of eggplant, I do not find its presence noticeable in the
Ajvar I am using.  The pepper flavor and texture predominates.  If you have
an ethnic grocery that handles Ajvar, perhaps an examination of the
ingredients will disclose a lesser content of eggplant in some brands.  This
product seems to be native to a wide region stretching from the Balkans
through Turkey (perhaps someone else can verify or elaborate on this point).
There were about a dozen different brands where I bought mine, but I do not
recall the ingredients.  Still, I would think that each manufacturer and
country would use a different recipe.  If you wanted to make your own,
probably any mildly flavored vegetable that will yield a similar cooked
texture would be an OK substitute.  Probably a peeled and seeded zucchini
might work.

Blue skies,
Frank