Re: [CH] Limey baked beans

Uncle Dirty Dave (xrated@ameritech.net)
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:18:47 -0500

Doug Irvine wrote:

> OK,  you guys...the English will use dried white navy beans, and here is
> a recipe from my late mother's cook book, first published in 1938 in
> VERY English Toronto. It is no longer very English, having become a
> melting pot, as has every other large metropolitan area. Here 'tis:
> 1 1/2    cups dried navy beans
> 1    tbls salt
> 3    tbls light molasses
> 3    tbls sugar
> 1/2    tsp mustard
> 2    cups tomato juice
> 1    very small onion
> 1/4    lb fat salt pork
> Soak beans overnight in water to which has been added 1/2 tsp soda.
> Change water and allow beans to simmer until the skins are about ready
> to burst. Do not boil rapidly. Drain, and put into a casserole. Cut the
> pork into 1/2 inch slices. Bury this into the beans. Add tomato juice
> and other ingredients, sufficient to cover the beans. Place lid on
> casserole and bake at 300 degrees F. foe about 6 hours. Add more of the
> tomato mixture as needed. Remove cover during the last half hour,
> bringing the pork bits to the top to crisp. Serves 6.
> There you have it, from Three Meals a Day by Jessie Read, Food editor,
> Toronto Telegram original copyright 1938. This book was given to Marie
> by my mother when we maried in 1949! So, there ya go...NO chiles in this
>  dish...little itty bitty mustard! But that is the way the English ate
> back then. I am certain that today things are different, but when it
> comes to beans, not a whole lot. As I mentioned to Dan, we have a Limey
> couple in the building who, when they were available here, lived on
> Marks & Spencer beans, which were about the same as these, or similar to
> English Heintz, totally unlike American or Canadian Heintz. Cheers, Doug
> on Vancouver Island BC

Well, hell. If I'd known we were talking about baked beenz .... My
favourite follows (without the maple syrple, it's my favourite as I am
not a fan of maple syrple), It was put together by Ian Hoare, a Pom
living in the south of France and running a bed & breakfast joint.
He's a chile-head and a good cook. He used the recipes of two other
member of the National Cooking Echo of Fido Net and called it
Indianaston Baked Beans - but, as Bostonapolis rolls more trippingly
off the tongue ...

Other than the maple syrple and a bit more onion and salt pork the
recipes (your Mum's and this) are pretty close. This is my preferred
recipe for baked beenz - to which I sometimes add a diced jalapeno or
three. Anyway - you showed me yours so I'll show you mine - here 'tis

MMMMM----- Meal Master Recipe

       Title: Bostonapolis Baked Beans (Synthesis)
  Categories: Beans, Classic, Pork
       Yield: 5 Servings

     500 g  Dry navy beans
       1 lg Onion; roughly chopped
     300 g  Smoked belly of pork
       6 tb Maple syrup
      80 ml Molasses
   1 1/2 ts Dry mustard
   1 1/2 ts Ground ginger
       2 ts Salt
     1/4 ts Black pepper
            Hot water

   Soak beans overnight in a saucepan. In the morning, add
   more water if necessary to cover, and parboil beans for
   10 minutes. Then run cold water through beans in a
   colander or strainer. Cut pork jowl in one-inch cubes,
   leaving skin on. The quantity of the pork may be decreased
   if desired without affecting flavour.

   Put the chopped onions with half of the cubed pork on the
   bottom of the bean pot (a traditional stoneware 2-3 quart
   pot is perfect). Put beans in pot and cover with the rest
   of the pork. Mix other ingredients with hot water and pour
   over the beans. Add enough water to make level with the
   beans. Bake in a 300 F. oven for 6 hours, adding water
   from time to time if necessary to prevent the beans from
   drying out.

   Recipe synthesised by IMH from recipes by John Hartman
   (Indianapolis Baked Beans) and Dave Sacerdote (Boston
   Baked Beans)

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

--