Who said Jicama/Vidalia? (was [CH] "Old"

Mike Stallcup (Michael.Stallcup@nasa.gov)
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:30:18 -0500

On 23 Sept, Jim C wrote:

>  couldn't tell you the date- I remember it by the thread.
>
>I was just after jicama vidalia and right at godzilla crows :-)
>
>- -Jim C
>Mild to Wild(R)

That would be 14 July 1995, a day that will live in C-H infamy, when
the first salvo was fired as follows:

>Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 14:46:12 -0500
>From: Bill.McClain@turner.com (Bill McClain)
>Subject: Jicama/vidalia salsa
>
>Here is a salsa that I experimented with last weekend. Like most of you
>experimenters, I don't have exact measurements, so these are approximations.
>
>Jicama/vidalia salsa
>
>1 jicama (approx. 1 lb)
>1 lg vidalia onion  (about the same size as the jicama. Vidalias
>don't need to
>     be used, as long as the onion is a white, sweet one. 'Texas
>Sweets' are the
>     same thing as Vidalias [don't tell the Vidalia SS], just grown in Texas)
>2 small carrots (optional)
>3 (-) cloves garlic [we like a lot of garlic]
>1/4 (+) cup white vinegar
>2 fresh jalapenos
>5 dried anchos
>2 dried habaneros
>cilantro
>dash salt
>
>Peel the jicama, onion, and carrot, dice [cha, cha, cha]. Throw
>everything in  the blender and grind to your liking. You may need to add
>just a bit more  vinegar (or for an extra kick a shot or two of tequila)
>if the mixture is too  dry. Let stand or refrigerate for at least 2
>hours to let everything meld. Use  creatively. Of course, use the chiles
>of your preference, and in your preferred  quantites. The idea is to
>blend a nice deep burn with a sweet aftertaste (from  the sweet onion
>and jicama). Eat in good health!
>
>bill "ciao down" mcclain

For those of you who joined the C-H List post-JV, this recipe somehow
got caught in an endless send-loop, sending four copies on the first
day. Over the next several days the List received what seemed like
hundreds of the same posting before our fearless List-Leader Mike
Bowers was able to track down the problem and stop it. Thus, the
"Jicama/Vidalia Legend" was born.

Richard wrote:

>NNNNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>I had finally purged that from my memory banks.  :-)
>The funny thing about that was I don't remember if anyone actually tried
>the recipe.
>
>I originally joined in the early 90's, dropped out for a while in the
>middle.  Still have my Chile-Heads card - the "original" ones,  color with
>a chile seed in the back ones, #23.  I miss Col. Philpot's recipes (the
>Brit who was married to a Thai woman, IIRC) and should go look them up in
>the archives one of these days.

No need to dig through the archives. Andy Barnhart has graciously
compiled many, if not all, of Col. Philpott's recipes and posted them
at http://abarnhart.com/faq/Colonel.htm.

Garden Report:  My serrano chiles are really producing right now.
Each weekend I hickory smoke a big batch of ripe serranos, followed
by complete drying in the dehydrator and grinding in the blender.
This way I have a taste of summer all year long. My kids
automatically set the smoked serrano powder on the table every
evening at supper time.  Life is good!

--
Mike  (C-H #36, hab seed intact)
Carpe Capsicum!