Re: [CH] Peat Pellets

Will McCown (will@ross-mccown.com)
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:48:46 -0800

I've had pretty good success using these:

http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/index.cfm?page=_productdetails&productid=8345&cid1=175&cid2=425&cid3=-99

Unlike most of the seedling trays out there this is individual
pots which means I can plant a mix of different things in the
same tray and then shuffle the faster developing plants out as
they get too big.  But they're small enough to approach the density
of typical seedling trays.

Being in (currently soggy) Southern California I started a bunch
of peppers and tomatoes in late November.  Early January they
went into the "Greenhouse" (Really just a plastic tent), the
peppers are now about 16" tall, and the tomatoes are now at the
4' point.

Scott wrote:

> I have tried various peat "contraptions" and it's always the
> same result.  They tend to dry out, but keeping them moist
> enough for the seedlings leads to mold.  Pretty shades of
> green, white and blue that don't seem to harm the seedlings,
> but not the type of growth I like to encourage indoors.
>
> I use 16 oz. red plastic cups (like you see around kegs.)  I
> melt a few holes in the bottom for drainage/watering and they
> are reusable.
>
> Scott... getting to start seedlings this year... KCK

> Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

Will McCown, South Pasadena, CA
will@ross-mccown.com