Re: [CH] Peat Pellets

Linda Panter (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:13:23 -0500

Hi Matt, That sounds interesting, actually!  Especially for a
gardener like you.

That is also very intriguing about the tomato plants.... exactly
opposite what I have been doing.
Maybe I will start a few and compare!

Thanks!!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Evans" <tmattevans@gmail.com>
To: "Linda Panter" <lipant@sympatico.ca>; "Chile Heads Post"
<chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: [CH] Peat Pellets

Hi, Linda --

I'm planning on finishing in August with a Ph.D. in Civil
Engineering.
 My specific research deals with the mechanics of soils on the
very
small (i.e., particle-level) scale.  I just wish it would help me
grow
a better garden....

By the way, I meant to mention this in my last post -- you said
you've
been unhappy with your results in starting tomatoes from seed.  I
think that if you use a method similar to what I outlined above,
it
might solve your problem.  When I transplant my tomato seedlings
from
the small cells to the Solo cups, I put the plant in the cup
first
(all the way at the bottom) and then cover it with dirt.
Typically,
only a couple of inches of plant will be sticking out of the
soil.
When I transplant into the garden, I do the same thing, burying
the
plant to the level of the lowest leaves.  My plants are
consistently
stronger than the ones I buy from the nursery.

Matt