Re: [CH] epson salts

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:30:16 -0500

Akiva Kotler wrote:

> I have been lurking for a while.  Haven't written to
> the list in a few years.  I would appreciate it if one
> of you would be kind enough to inform me as to the
> best way to use epson salts in pepper gardening.

I got this ho-made fertiliser recipe back when the Shuttleworths were
running Mother Earth News. I have no idea who the originator was. But,
it works.

Gather

2 c  water
1 c  beer (the cheaper the better)
1 c  Epsom salts
1 c  Household ammonia

1. Combine contents in a medium-sized container.

2. Pour mixture into watering can with a spray head.

3. Distribute fertilizer as if you were watering your lawn.

4. Pour leftover contents into resealable container.

5. Wait two to three weeks.

6. Reapply if necessary.

Tips:

The beer will help feed the roots. The Epsom salts will keep the
ground aerated by breaking it up; this will help it "breathe" and
prevent it from getting hard. The ammonia will kill any fungus
or bacteria in the dirt. Plus being a source of nitrogen.

This recipe should fertilize an area 400-600 square feet, depending
on the water pressure through the canister. You may need to increase
the amount by doubling or tripling the recipe to meet your needs.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

Imagine the Creator as a low comedian, and at once the world becomes
explicable. -- H. L. Mencken