[CH] Inadvertant Chile Plants

Linda Panter (lipant@sympatico.ca)
Sat, 9 Jul 2005 13:07:55 -0400

I have a similar story...

We have one side of our double kitchen sinks that backs up the
drain, so we keep it permanently closed. (my very handy guy can't
even figure it out.)  So once  a week or so I take out the
drainboard and clean it out.  The last time I did this, there was
a "volunteer"!  Some kind of chili plant....  no idea as it was
only 2" high at the time. It's now 4" high and flourishing in a
hydroponic set up.

----- Original Message -----=20
From: AndyB=20
To: Chile Heads=20
Cc: Cross Country Nurseries=20
Sent: Saturday, July 09, 2005 12:41 AM
Subject: [CH] Inadvertant Chile Plants

First, let it be said that I do not have a "green thumb",
nevertheless I have dozens of new chile plants growing.

Over the years, I have observed many emails on this list
concerning
all the misfortunes befalling would be chile plant production.

In May, 2004, mostly for decoration, I ordered chile plants
and placed them in window boxes on the deck outside the
kitchen window.  With a small modicum of care they did well,
providing both visual cheer and culinary benefits last fall.

I did not do the same this spring -- the dead plants stalks
were still in the flower boxes.

On the 3rd, we had  "Fourth of July" picnic on the deck.  Our son
remarked, "Dad, where did you get all the little chile plants.?"

In some amazement, I examined the boxes, and found growing,
two small trees, a couple of unidentified weeds, and a couple
of * dozen * young chile plants!

Appearantly, with zero assistance from me, the some unharvested
pods
fell to the soil, rotted, and released seeds, which then grew all
on
their own.

No fungus; no flying white thingies; no squirrels, cats, deer,
etc;
no spiders; no mysterious wilting, rotting or ma lease.

Perhaps now I might give them some slight assistance -- but I
wouldn't
want to muck up a good thing.

AndyB