Re: [CH] White-flowered Rocoto

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:26:25 -0500

Hi Rob,

I got the photo.  The pod looked to me like the result of poor pollination.
If you post it someone here might know for sure.  And fruit shape on
pubescens varies quite a bit.  Sometimes I see 2-3 distinct variations on
the same plant at the same time even though most varieties seem fairly
consistent.

The guy that sent me seeds for the "white-flowered rocoto" did post a
picture on the Dave's Garden web site.  He called it a "Monzano".    A
rather unique (to me) pod shape that I have seen only on a few varieties
that I have grown.  His description was "red, elongated & heavy".  It looked
similar to this accession from Bolivia:
http://www.fototime.com/626F816D4FD6E0C/standard.jpg

jt

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 3:01 AM
Subject: RE: [CH] White-flowered Rocoto

Hi John,

As rocoto always triggers me as its my favourite...
Yes I've had a plant last year who had a few almost white flowers.. grown
from 4th generation seeds, didn't took pictures, but this one had very nice
purple flowers too on the same plant, never the less the fruit wasn't all
perfect in shape, had made a picture of that, but can show it to the group,
I'll send it separate to you, maybe you can place it.
So I do think it did cross with something else but no idea with what why or
how. And had been the first time till now, rocoto did look to me that these
didn't cross easy.
I've also a three year old rocoto from 1nd generation seeds, and a two year
old rocoto from 2nd generation seed who are just starting to flower again
and has nice flowers and beautiful pear shape fruit each year... and HOT.

Hot regards
Rob NL
...back to lurk mode again...