Re: [CH] Open Fields field

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Wed, 3 Aug 2005 11:52:35 -0500

JimC writes:  John T's are down about 20% & looking pretty scraggly
indeed.  Odd- the rocotos didn't like 100 F & full sun :-P

Jim,

I was surprised that any produced pods last year.  They had been plucked
before I got a chance to wander out on the field (Fri late afternoon I
think) so didn't get a chance to try and ID them.  A most heartbreaking and
sometimes rewarding species to grow.  Not a single ripe pod for me so far
this season and the vast majority of my plants are 2-3 years old.

Can't wait to get there again in Sept!  (I'll be the one in the official
"Mild to Wild" cap)

jt

----- Original Message -----
From: jim@wildpepper.com
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 10:27 AM
Subject: [CH] Open Fields field

Well, as promised, a report from walking the field on Friday:

The field isn't in very good shape.  The chile went in the day before
the temps skyrocketed- which was two weeks before the monsoons.  As a
result, there are some problems.  Several varieties have taken some
serious hits.  The Kris Boyles are underwater & have been thinned out
about 20%.  The fields overall have been reduced by about 15% on the
plant count due to deaths.  Larger pod chiles have suffered worse than
the small ones.  John T's are down about 20% & looking pretty scraggly
indeed.  Odd- the rocotos didn't like 100 F & full sun :-P  I am also
being overrun with morning glory.  They'll be several long hot days out
there with hoe, knife, & round-up in order to get ahead of it.
Especially since it will have another weeks' head start before I can get
to it.  And I used to think it was so pretty on the fence at the
neighbors while growing up!

The commercial fields thankfully, look *much* better.  The cayennes are
ready for their first picking as of Monday :-)  Hab crop looks
promising.  The fatili's are going great guns.

-Jim C
Mild to Wild(R)