Re: [CH] Powder

Russ morgan (rmorgan@technh.com)
Mon, 15 Aug 2005 14:24:25 -0400

Matt,

This is the method that I've been using and it works for Chili's and things that are forgiving this way.  I'm aimed at some infused oil and chili butter where pieces just don't cut it.  I refuse to eat another Tuna Sashimi with chile pieces. in my oil.  Of course it could be that I'm just too picky.

Thanks,
Russ

>>> Matt Evans <tmattevans@gmail.com> 08/15/05 12:27PM >>>
Russ --

I just grind mine in a spice grinder and leave it as a kind of coarse
powder -- certainly not with the uniformity and fineness of, say,
store-bought cayenne powder.  I've been happy with this and haven't
noticed problems in any of my recipes.  Plus, it's easy.

The nicest homemade powder that I have ever seen has been sent to me
by the very fine list member, JohnT.  I think he told me once that he
dries the chiles until brittle and grinds them in a pepper mill.  I'm
not sure how well this would work with large quantities.

Matt