Re: [CH] Need to know- fermenting and pickling?

Will McCown (will@ross-mccown.com)
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:49:36 -0700

I've fermented Jalapenos with good success.  The result is
a bit tart and somewhat mellower (and yes soft as well).
I usually turn the fermented peppers into hot sauce, but
they can be canned after fermentation as well.

First of all I recommend the book "The Joy of Pickling"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558321330/qid=1127175705/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-1347200-6106506?v=glance&s=books

While it doesn't have many pepper recipes, it does explain
the basics quite well.

What I do is a follows:

Wash the peppers.

Slice the tops off -- slice just deep enough so that the
   interior is exposed -- this lets the brine penetrate the
   inside as well as the outside.

Pack the peppers into a large mason jar.  Use at least a 1-Quart
   wide-mouth.  I've done big batches in 1-Gallon Jars I got
   at OSH.  Leave about 3-4" of free space at the top of the
   Jar.

Make up a Brine which is 1/4 cup of salt per Quart of water.
   I use regular table salt, however you can seek out
   "pickling salt" which makes brine that won't turn cloudy.
   Since I don't keep the brine I don't worry about that.

Pour the brine over the peppers until they are completely
   covered.  Now take a zip-lock bag (I recommend the heavy
   freezer variety), and tuck it open end up into the top of
   the jar.  Fill the Bag with the same brine and zip it up.
   This will form a barrier that will keep the peppers
   submerged, yet allow the gas to escape.  At this point
   I usually tip the jar a bit back and forth to try and
   let as much air come to the surface as I can.

Set the jar on a plate, pie pan or saucer to catch any "burps"
   and leave it at room temperature.  I just leave it on my
   kitchen counter.

In a few days you will start to see bubbling, and notice a
   slight sour smell.  I let them go until the bubbing slows
   down, usually about 2 weeks.

--
Will McCown, South Pasadena, CA