Re: [CH] Looking for Chiltepins

Shaun aRe (shaun_are@zenlunatics.co.uk)
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:16:43 -0000

"Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:01:25 +0100
From: "Gerald Schmidt" <geraldq@gmx.at>
Subject: [CH] Looking for Chiltepins"

" Hey guys/gals!

Thought it's time to de-lurk for a little while:
I'm trying to make a little botanical project out of my chile growing this
year by performing a comparison - probably by the more "simple" criteria,
maybe even using some genetics - of different varieties classified as
chiltepin.
I have a few already, but some like Sonoran/Texan chiltepin, chiltepin
amarillo have so far proven elusive; so, if anyone had some seeds of these
(or others that do have a name and/or known place/region of origin), drop me
a note. I've got at least the varieties mentioned here
(http://www.positive-ecology.org/chillilabor/saatgut.html sorry, that page
is in German; I don't yet have that list up on the English language version)
I could offer in return...

Thanks,
Gerald
(in Austria, Europe - just so's you know)"

Hi Gerald,
               I believe I still have some chiltepin from Texas at home but
I will have to check - if I have then you can have as many seeds as I have,
juts E-mail me. They are IIRC still in air dried pods still but are 2 y/o -
should still be viable though (if I have still got them - damn my memory!) -
I was sent a living plant by a friend who's in TX (unfortunately it didn't
fruit last year because it took hell from the frosts outdoors the winter
before). The seeds are from a commercially grown plant but are identical to
the wild TX ones she as growing in her garden (it was just not a good time
for cuttings) - good heat and enjoyable flavour! Make excellent chile
powder. I will take a look after work.

Shaun aRe