Re: [CH] stuffed rocoto/manzano recipe

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:33:08 -0600

John H. Sphar wrote:
> Can anyone who is online right now (or within a couple
> hours) point me to a stuffed rocoto recipe?  I need
> something other than the traditional Peruvian rocoto
> relleno, and also more complex than just cream cheese.
>  I also have Calvin's from Pepperfool...  I saw one
> awhile back using ground turkey and some other stuff.
>
> If anything comes to mind and you have a link I'd love
> it!  I'm still getting fresh manzanos from a local
> market!  Thanks,  John Sphar

Digging through the Dirty Dave Archives I find only one that says
Rocoto on it. Of course you can make up any Chilies Relleno recipe and
use Rocoto chilies in lieu of Anaheims or Pasillas.

Here is the recipe that I have (and it looks like it would go well
using minced pork, as well ... )

MMMMM----- Meal Master Recipe

       Title: Rocoto Rellenos
  Categories: Chilies, Beef, Cheese, Latino
       Yield: 4 Servings

       6 lg Fresh rocoto chilies
     1/2 lb Ground beef
     1/2 c  Chopped onion
       2 ts Roasted and ground peanuts
       2 ts Raisins
     1/2 c  Chopped, cooked carrots
       1    Hard-cooked egg; chopped
     1/2 c  Cooked peas
       3 sm Potatoes; boiled and diced
     1/4 c  Milk
       3 lg Eggs
       1 c  Mozzarella or Muenster
            -cheese; grated
            Salt & ground black pepper

   Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.

   Cut the top off each chile, remove the seeds and the
   membranes and save the tops.

   Brown the ground beef and onion in a skillet, breaking up
   any large clumps of beef. Add the peanuts, raisins,
   carrots, hard-cooked egg and peas and cook for 5 min.
   Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fill each rocoto
   with the meat mixture and cover with the rocoto tops.

   Place the potatoes in a lightly greased pan and arrange
   the filled rocotos on top. Beat the milk and eggs in a
   separate bowl and pour over the rocotos. Sprinkle the
   cheese around the rocotos and bake for 10 minutes.

   Serves: 4-6

   Heat Scale: Medium

   From: Chile Pepper magazine; October 1996.

   MM Format by Dave Drum - 10 January 2004

   Uncle Dirty Dave's Archives

MMMMM

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

When men are pure, laws are useless; when men are corrupt, laws
are broken. - Benjamin Disraeli