Re: Fwd: Re: [CH] In the middle of an oil pipeline story...

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:45:24 -0500

Cameron Begg wrote:
>>  When we were in Scotland a few years ago, we were told in a
>> restaurant that served it that the Dept. of Health had made them used
>> only ground lamb when serving it to the public...no awful offal!!

> BS
> (Sorry Sandy)

Oh, I dunno. Some places will go to great lengths to have the tourists
on. Or tell them anything simply because they are from out of town and
have no real way of fact-checking the statement.

And it puts the restaurant in a somewhat better light than telling
Sandy (or anyone else who inquires) that "We do it as a shortcut and
because it works out to lower our costs so we make more money". That's
generally why an establishment will blame something on the unspecific
but ubiquitous "they" - generally implying a governmental body's fiat.

I've had similar tactics tried on me in the Untied States - and when
asked to show the specifics of their statement the offenders blanched,
caviled and changed the subject.

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually
has a son who thinks he's wrong. - Charles Wadsworth