Re: [CH] Finally, a first attempt.

Matt Evans (tmattevans@gmail.com)
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:06:25 -0400

Hey now, Pecos --

No time like the present, eh?  My experience has been that chile
plants are pretty amenable to many different growing conditions, some
particularly finicky C. pubescens notwithstanding.  Assuming that it
is warm enough where you are to start them outdoors, I would recommend
starting them in small containers (e.g., Solo cups with holes punched
in the bottom) using some fancy store-bought "seed starting soil".
It's generally cheaper to make your own mix, but if you're growing on
a small scale (say 10-12 plants) you're going to be better off just
buying a small bag at the garden store.

Keep the soil moist and the seedlings should appear in about a week or
so.  When the first true leaves appear, apply some half-strength
Miracle-Gro (or similar).  Let the soil dry some between waterings --
don't keep them too wet.  Once they have gotten to be, say, 4-6 inches
tall, transplant them into your garden plot.

When I transplant, I typically dig a little hole, place the plant into
it, and pour in about a pint of full-strength Miracle-Gro (or
similar).  Dig the hole deep enough to bury about 50% of the plant --
you'll get a deeper root system that way.  When the first fruits start
to appear, water with Miracle-Gro (or similar) one last time.
Generally, I water only when the plants start to look a little
distressed, as it's much easier to apply too much water than not
enough.

Now I am working on the assumption that you do not have soil with some
horrible deficiency that would require additional amendment with
organics, looseners, pH balancers, or slow-release granular
fertilizers.  But, as I said, I've found chiles to be amenable to many
different conditions and soil types.

Good luck.

Matt