Re: [CH] Let me just get the dominoes

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:51:58 -0700

linsubs wrote:

> Jeez!  <shaking ma head here>
> This is what it's come to? Where in chilepeppa is your fire, folks?
> El Grande surely must be filled with sorrow at such neglect.
>
> It's a sorry commentary on a list when the only thing that can bring
> it to *life* is mention of an old contentious experience shared by
> old-timers, leading only to more reminiscing of way back when.  Next
> thing ya know, you'll be pulling out the dominoes to play fer a couple
> hours afore you go home and take another nap.  <VBEG>
>
> Chileheads list used to be as lively as the peppers that drew people
> together.  Oh, I got nothing against fond memories n' all -- right
> fine stuff on occassion.  Give everone the warm fuzzies.  But what
> happened to discussion of chiles?  ... and sharing of recipes and
> cooking?  As salaciously entertaining as Rael's nubile-navel-lickin'
> stories can be, there *were* other enjoyable discussions not involving
> navels or toes ;-)  I am not an old-timer but even I remember that
> much.  Now it seems all you wanna talk about the old days. And who's
> bin around the longest.
>
> Whaaat?  No one has a new smoker or is trying a new technique?  No one
> found a new killer hot sauce to rave about?  No one wants to tell the
> list about a new way to cook a chile or two?  Or has a pepper tale to
> tell?  Have we really said it all?
>
> Or are ya just too pooped to do anything but graze on what you already
> said? Heck, are you even eating chiles?
>
> Well, let's find out if ya got anything left.
>
> Anyone using a stovetop smoker?  What did you make there that was
> worth telling about?  Ya did make somethin', didn' ya?  I just bought
> both the regular and mini from Cameron.  My first run at it, smoking
> jals, wasn't so great. Afraid I darn killed the jals (and criminy,
> were they a hot bunch! I know they were jals but they aspired to
> more).  Boring problem with lid (promptly replaced by Cameron), so
> don't yet  have a tale or recipe worth sharing.
>
> Has anyone tried a kamada smoker?  and if so, what's the best thing
> you're doing with the bugger?
>
> I read an article briefly mentioning where some guy built a smoker
> from two clay plant pots (based on Alton Brown instructions) and said
> it worked great.  Never heard of it myself.  Anyone tried that?
>
> Anyone found a good source for sugar chile seed?  chimayo chile pepper
> seed?  Anybody besides Jim growing peppers? Me, I haven't yet tried
> growing peppers cuz of a black thumb.  Death on wheels to plants so
> far.  That sugar chlie sounds tempting, though.
>
> I see joemama and Linda H are at least cooking these days, and willing
> to share their recipes with the rest of us. (thanks, by the way, you
> two)
>
> Am I at least riling you? Wanna throw tomatoes at me?  Good, do it!
> Give it your best shot, but by heaven, send 'em with chiles --
> remember where you are!  Even rotten tomaters be better than the
> stinkin' death smell of a CH list dying on its vine.

> [...]
Well Buster...at least it got the list moving! Haven't see this much
activity since the days when I was posting recipes regularly! So, this
ancient chile-head will attack some of your points chile-head on!  First
the domino effect :-) has already been covered...it started the current
run! Oh, ya mean the Old Geezer's game?? Here I  is at 80+ and I sorta
remember playing it about 70 odd years ago, and ain't played it since.
Sharing recipes and cooking???? What have you contributed lately? As far
as recipes? Or cooking? As far as smoking is concerned, in my situation,
living in an apartment where the new Property Mgrs who took over from me
after 17+ years of doing that,banned all deck or balcony barbecues,
banned propane in any type of container, and generally made a whole
bunch of folk mad at them, so, no more smokers. And as the kitchen range
vents, do not exit the building, an indoor smoker is out of the question.
Which is why I get my smoked chiles from the Smoke-Eater himself(busily
running up stairs ;-) )(but for a good cause) As to your pooooor black
thumb(better see a Doc, soon)I have been growing chiles on my decks for
over 20 years, and this year have cayenne, Kung Pao, and for the first
time, have a Jalapeno growing. I have so many dried chiles left over,
some two years old, that I grind my own powder when I start running
out.  If you DO have a black thumb, then why are you concerned about
finding seed? Hope springs eternal?? Perhaps you killed the poor things
with Miracle grow? (dunt use it, too high in nitrogen) Anywho, as the
Late Rael used to say(and Don prolly still does) here is how I make my
own chipotle adobo mess, rather than the canned stuff. Quit with that
crap when I found half a cockroach in one of those cans. Still wonder
where the other half went!!
Old Doug's Chipotle Adobo:
2 or 3 Jim Campbell's dried chipotles (his smoked jals)
1   baseball sized tomato, skinned
3   cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
3   good size slices of onion
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Soak the chipotles in hot water, and leave overnight. Drain, discard
water, and soak again for about 4-5 hours.Reserve 1/2 cup of the second
soaking water. Remove stems, as many or as few seeds as you like, and
chop, roughly. I usually put all the chiles, onion, garlic, tomato in a
blender along with the reserved water, and let 'er rip. Remove to a
sauce pan,add vinegar and cook until reduced by about half volume.
Taste, add salt, if you wish, about 1/2 tsp comino, ground, place all
ina little container and store in the fridge. For longer storage than a
week or so, freeze.   Cheers, the Old Geezer Doug in BC