Re: [CH] Thai stuff

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:13:23 -0400

The faint nutty taste is prolly sesame oil - here are a few but nothing
showed up with the Colonel's that I have, although it could be in the
archived file.
These all sound good to me - it more than likely the middle one.
cheers
Chet

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Thai Peanut Slaw
 Categories: Thai, Salads, Rice
      Yield: 8 servings

      1    Head Nappa Cabbage, shredded
      1    Cucumber, chopped
      1 bn Green onions, sliced
    1/4 c  Salted peanuts, chopped
      1 tb Sesame Seeds
      2 c  Bean sprouts

MMMMM--------------------------DRESSING-------------------------------
    1/2 c  Salted peanuts; very finely
           - ground
  1 1/2 ts Sugar
      1 tb Red pepper flakes
      1 ts Fresh garlic; finely chop
      1 tb Peanut Oil
      3 tb Rice vinegar or vinegar
      1 tb Soy sauce

  In large bowl combine all salad ingredients.  In small bowl stir
  together all dressing ingredients.  Just before serving, pour
  dressing over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 8 servings.

  (1 serving):  Calories 120, Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 6g; Fat 10g;
  Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 220mg.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Thai Slaw
 Categories: Side dish, Thai, Rice
      Yield: 7 servings

  2 1/2 c  Packaged coleslaw mix
      1 c  Cucumber; finely chopped
      4    Green onions; sliced
      4 tb Rice wine vinegar (or cider
           - vinegar)
      2 tb Vegetable oil
      2 tb Cilantro; minced
      1 tb Sugar
      2 ts Sesame oil
  1 1/2 ts Fresh ginger; grated

  Combine all ingredients; mix well.  Cover and refrigerate at least 1
  hour.

  Serves 6 to 8.

  from the Providence (R.I.) Journal-Bulletin, published in Austin (Tx)
  American Statesman, Oct. 8, 97

  typed and posted by teri Chesser  10/97

  From: Teri Chesser                    Date: 10 Oct 97 National
  Cooking Echo Ä

MMMMM
MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title:             thai Coleslaw
 Categories: Salads, Thai
      Yield: 12 Servings

      1    Head green cabbage --
           Shredded
    1/2    Head red cabbage --
           Shredded
      4    Green onion -- sliced
      1    Jalapeno pepper -- seeded
           And diced
    1/4 c  Cilantro -- chopped
      1    Cucumber -- seeded and
           Chopped
      1    Red pepper -- chopped
    1/2 c  Peanuts -- chopped
           Dressing  ----
    1/2 c  Oil
    1/4 c  Rice wine vinegar
    1/2 ts Curry powder
      2 tb Sugar
      2    Garlic cloves -- crushed

  Mix all of the ingredients for salad together in a large bowl. Whisk
  dressing ingredients together and toss with salad when ready to serve.

  Recipe By     : Jan Brady

  From: "Margaret Plasker" <maggimae@paci

MMMMM

Frank J. Hashek wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Could someone who has custody of the Colonel's recipes please see if he had
>one for Thai Slaw.  The local Thai eatery makes a simple slaw with cabbage,
>a little green chile (probably jalapeno) and a little cilantro.  The
>dressing seems to be rice wine vinegar, maybe a little lime juice, a little
>sugar and something that gives it a very faint nutty taste.  The nutty taste
>could either be a little peanut butter or maybe tahini.  Not enough of it to
>tell and the serving was not large enough for me to form an opinion.
>
>I found one recipe on <recipesource.com>, but it is more elaborate than what
>I ate tonight.
>
>Any recipes for this stuff would be appreciated.
>
>Thanx,
>Frank

* Chet Bacon   KA1ILH     |           Okay, who put a             *
* PO Box 284              |         "stop payment" on my          *
* Southington, CT 06489   |             reality check?            *
* E-Mail:                 | Homepage:                             *
* chet@chetbacon.com      | http://www.chetbacon.com              *
* chet_bacon@whps.org     |<work>  http://www.whps.org            *