RE: [CH] Aji Amarillo Heat

Riley J. McIntire (Riley@ChileGarden.com)
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 09:50:31 -0700

Scott [rooftopvoter@excite.com] wrote:

> Sandy0 said:
>> we all know that 'heat' is on the tongue of the beholder.
>
> Yeah, heat is subjective, but if my AA's were Thai hot level like
> Riley's, there would be a smoking crater left where your moderate
> head used to be.

Sandy's reaction to mine would have been quite, uh, interesting! Some were
Thai hot, but I'd say most were between a hot jalapeno and Thai.

> By no real heat I mean they aspire to approach the heat of a
> particularly feisty bell pepper.

This surprises me. I got my first seeds from Calvin, of Calvin's Powder
fame, before he developed his tragic allergy to solanacae. (I hate to
imagine what occurred in a prior life to bring this on!) AAs were a major
ingredient in his powder, and it had good heat. These Aji Amarillos were
3-4"/100cm long, with a triangular cross section. I had some other plants
from, I think, The Chilewoman, Susan, identical except the cross section was
fairly circular. Both had good heat levels. Fleshy and tasty. It would never
occur to me to compare them to a bell. The hottest I was growing at the time
were Choc Habs--these were the hottest chiles I've had. The AAs didn't
approach them. But still, they had a kick.

Hmmm, just checked TheChileWoman.com --Susan rates them at a 7 on a 1-10
scale:

http://www.thechilewoman.com/listofchiles/heatscale/#7

These are good chiles. I miss cooking with them and they'll definitely be in
my next crop, whenever that is. Like I said, must be Kansas! ;-)

Riley
Los Angeles/Eagle Rock, CA

--
"Be who you are and say what you feel,