Re: [CH] plants coming indoors...

Dave Drum (dirty_dave@chillicooks.org)
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:25:28 -0500

Mike Benson wrote:
> You could try garlic in the soil.  I first wrote about it here:

> http://www.globalgarden.com/Chile-Heads/Archives/vol.200204/0610.html

> It is supposed to kill all insects, good or bad.  I'm not sure how well it
> works.  The times I've tried it I don't think I had an insect problem to
> begin with.

> If your plants are in your living space you will smell the garlic.  It's not
> a problem for me as my over wintered plants go under artificial light down
> in the dungeon, and I like the smell of garlic.

I like the smell and (most especially) the taste of garlic. The smell
of garlic in the air would not bother me as I live in an all electric
home. However, if I had natural gas heat or cook-top it could be a bit
worrying - since most (if not all) gas utilities add the aromatic
ingredient of garlic (mercaptan*) to their gas to make leaks noticeable.

*Mercaptans contain sulfur. That’s what makes them smell. The kind
used blends well with natural gas and, in a gaseous state, has much
the same properties as natural gas, so it will also rise and dissipate
with natural gas.

Just my morning to be a pedantic nit-picker.   Bv)=

--
ENJOY!!!
--------

"Oh, lager beer! It makes good cheer, And proves the poor man's worth;
It cools the body through and through, and regulates the health."
--Anonymous