Re: [CH] Cheese advice

Chet Bacon (chet@chetbacon.com)
Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:15:41 -0400

X is an unknown quantity and spurt is a drip under pressure.
But I would think the key to things are two fold.
The type of milk and when it is taken from the animal (goat, sheep, cow,
whatever)
and the method is made under/with (rennet, retin, bacteria, temperature,
humidity, etc.)
There was a story about a lost uncle of mine who figured he'd take some
new cheese and age it - not a good thing as he didn't know what to do
with it, it turned out nasty.  But he sold it anyway.. go figure for the
1800's
I have had a small wheel in the fridge since 2000, all sealed up and
tucked away - how will ti turn out?  I'll let you know in a few years.
Keep it cool, and stable with no drastic changes in either humidity or
temp.  As with all things in life, start off with good product - sealed
with wax and test it for longevity.  There are some really good up and
coming cheeses in the USA.  Good blues and cheddars, I'd go with a good
cheddar because that is what I grew up with and longevity makes it
better (sharper).
Buy a 5 lb wheel from Cabot (Hunters or Private Reserve) and let it go
for a year or five.
Brother Rael wid all hiz learn'n should have a comment as well.
Experiment.  As for Cabot Hab cheese - yum!  This I'd think not to age,
the veggie matter would prolly go off before it aged properly.

Chet