Re: [CH] cranberry sauce?

David Cook (zebcook@cox.net)
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:54:52 -0700

At 07:02 PM 11/20/2006, Mike Nestrud wrote:
>Hello all!
>
>What's the story on a delicious obviously hot
>cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving?  I typically
>roast cranberries with sugar and orange zest and
>add a splash of grand marnier, and was thinking
>of simply roasting off and pureeing a lemon drop
>in there.... but if anyone's got anything to die for I'd love to hear about it!
>
>Happy cooking,
>
>-Michael

Here's an tried and true standby from older days
of the list. Just made it last night.

Cranberry chipotle compote (relish)

Yield: 12 Servings
1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
3 medium Apples
3 medium Pears
cup Raisins
¼ cup Grand Marnier liquer
1 pounds Fresh cranberries
4 ounce Chipotle chile peppers; canned in adobo sauce; chopped fine
2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
1 cup Sugar
½ Orange; zest of, chopped fine
½ cup Fresh orange juice
½ teaspoon Nutmeg
¼ cup Grand Marnier liquer
Peel, core and dice pears and apples (medium).
Heat oil on medium high until hot. Add pears,
apples and raisins. Saute 3-5 min, or until soft.
Add 1/4 C Grand Marnier and deglaze pan. Add
cranberries, chipotles, cinnamon, sugar, orange
zest and orange juice. Stir and simmer for 40-45
minutes until it begins to thicken. Add nutmeg
and 2nd 1/4 C of Grand Marnier and mix.
Refrigerate until ready to serve (cold). Makes
about 1 quart. CHILE-HEADS ARCHIVES From the Chile-Heads recipe list.

David "Zeb" Cook
zebcook@cox.net
617-803-1672