Re: [CH] World's hottest chile

Tina Brooks (shoestring_louise@yahoo.com)
Tue, 20 Feb 2007 20:47:19 -0800 (PST)

The article was written in 2000. The doubts were
expressed shortly thereafter, until 2006, nothing.
NOTHING was said to remove his "doubts" from the
public eye. In fact, until the Dorset Naga came to
light, the good Dr. said nothing.

He has had this pepper in his possession for longer
than I have been in this business and not once has he
said anything to dispell the doubts that such a pepper
exists.

The magazine article may have been worthy of doubt, I
agree, but the Indian scientists are scientists and
deserved more respect than that. Especially since for
FIVE years Dr. Bosland has at the very least SUSPECTED
that they had been truthful in their published
findings. And I might add, those of us who listen when
Dr. Bosland speaks because he is such an expert in
this field deserve more.

Sadly, the respect I had for Dr. Bosland is suddenly
tarnished by this entire escapade. And I'm not the
only one who is "miffed" by it.

And ultimately, that really is what is unfortunate.

--- jim <jim@mail.wildpepper.com> wrote:

> I don't consider it unfortunate at all! :-)
>
> If one would recall the original article that they
> were pressed to comment
> on, it was sooo full of factual errors it could only
> have been considered a
> joke.  He was extremely kind in only expressing
> doubts, based on what was
> printed.  The Savina(R) was identified as a
> "Mexican" pepper, the jolokia as
> a frutescens (not a cross), and the sum total output
> of chiles in the US at
> 8,000 tons.
>
> Somebody's miffed feelings ought to be directed
> instead at the people who
> wrote such a poor article ;-)
>
> -Jim C
> http://www.StepUpForCharity.org