Re: [CH] Coffee (was: An addition!)

Jonathan Smillie (jonathan.smillie@gmail.com)
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:42:06 -0500

Doug Irvine wrote:
> Hi Risa and fellow CHers....Had my usual pot of coffee sitting in the
> carafe, so when I got down to half the mug of the Mayan chocolate, I
> filled the mug with my hot coffee! As I blend and grind my coffee
> fresh every morning( 3 different beans, a coffee nut?) the addition of
> my blend really made a great drink! The chocolate in this case was
> from a 500gm bar I had just Marie as an eating chocolate. Risa, as
> usual, came up with a superb rendition! Thanks, old friend!  Cheers,
> Doug in BC still alive and kicking, nearing my 83rd year

Hi Doug -

Sounds like you're even more of a coffee nut than me (I have a friend
who owns a coffee shop here in southern Indiana who roasts my blend for
me- I'm too lazy to mix it myself).

I have been known to add 1 tsp. of ground habanero to a pot's worth of
ground beans before brewing - that makes for a nice "hot" cup; but your
half and half wiith the Mayan chocolate sounds even better!

On a different coffee note, I had a roommate a few years back who, one
morning, mistook the coffee grinder I use for spices for the one I use
for beans. Either fortunately or otherwise, I'd used it the day before
to mix the dry ingredients for vindaloo paste- cumin, coriander,
cardamom, cinnamon, cayenne and turmeric among others. I'd put it away
wiped clean but not washed. The results after blending coffee in the
same machine were... interesting. I'm periodically tempted to try it
again just to see what happens.

Cheers,

Jonathan