Re: [CH] Botulism question.

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:03:58 -0600

> Refer to the Bllue Book (the Bible of safe canning.

I rather thought that M-A would be very knowledgeable about food
preservation.  (and of course she is!)

There is a newer Ball canning book out
http://www.fototime.com/inv/2F6C83D2F8FD752 that is completely up to date &
I highly recommend the Ellie Topp book that was revised in 2007.

JimC is the person that got me really looking into food safety when he
refused to try any of my cheese sauce because I put up in plastic squeeze
bottles.  (this was at O.F. 2004)

Peppers I find rather puzzling.  They aren't high acid so if you want to can
just peppers you have to pressure process (which kills heat and taste IMO)
rather than the boiling water bath method that I prefer.  What puzzles me is
that I suspect that capsaicin is somewhat anti-bacterial.  When I ferment
very hot peppers I have to add other ingredients (fruits etc) to get the
ferment started in a timely manner.  By timely I mean good activity within 3
days and a pH of 3.8 or lower within 7-8 days.  I want it fast because I
don't want to add a lot of salt for safety.  I inoculate my ferments with
lactic acid bacteria (kefir whey) or sourdough hooch.  The only other
anti-bacterial veggie I've run into is garlic.  Pure garlic and water mash
shows no activity even after 30 days @ 80°.

Didn't intend to write a book here.  LOL  I get carried away.  Just wanted
to comment about the canning books.