[CH] Preserving peppers (used to be Botulism...)

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 11:44:17 -0600

Mary-Anne writes: > I can peppers in a salt and vinegar brine likepickles
and process 10 minutes in water bath as per Ball Blue Book works great and
they keep their texture.

M-A,

That's what I'm going to do with the pods I don't freeze this year.  For
years I've kept a huge jar of equal parts vinegar and sugar in the fridge to
refrigerator pickle the pods.  The vinegar eventually softens them though.
The sugar keeps the colors vivid.  Pickled pods make incredible powders when
dehydrated & ground up and  I'm surprised more people don't do that.  There
is a slight chance of  Listeria food poisoning with refrigerator pickling
and I'm dehydrating the pickled pods now or using in something that I
pressure cook.  Interesting your use of horseradish to keep pods crisp.  I
use it when I ferment cabbage (making sauerkraut) for the very same reason.

We both love tomatoes.  Have you ever sun-dried (I use dehydrator) with a
sprinkle of salt and pepper powder?  Yum!!!  Sun Gold & a Cajun seasoning
just can't be beat.

jt