Re: [CH] Botulism question.

JohnT (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:51:21 -0600

Jim > Blue Book?

That would be the Ball Blue Book
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Blue-Book-of-Preserving/dp/0972753702  and not an
old edition.  This newer book is more up to date:
http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Complete-Book-Home-Preserving/dp/0778801314

LB > or trying to preserve using garlic.

Jim > Question:  does that mean people were trying to use garlic as a
preservative?  Or does it mean that preserving anything containing
garlic is bad?

I'm guessing trying to store garlic cloves in oil??  I've purposely tried to
ferment garlic (pure garlic) and gave up after 30 days.  It's highly
anti-bacterial if by itself.  The large containers of peeled garlic cloves
that I buy at Sam's Club are nothing but garlic and kept in the fridge.

And I am not an expert at any of this.  In fact have really ticked off
certain list cops with my crazy ideas & dumb questions.  Think outside the
box.

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Graham
To: Chile Heads
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: [CH] Botulism question.

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 08:09:49PM -0500, Byron wrote:

> 99% was from not following the Blue Book

Blue Book?

> or trying to preserve using garlic.

Question:  does that mean people were trying to use garlic as a
preservative?  Or does it mean that preserving anything containing
garlic is bad?

Later,
   --jim

--
73 DE N5IAL (/4)            MiSTie #49997      < Running FreeBSD 6.1 >
spooky130@cox.net || j.graham@ieee.org  ICBM/Hurr.: 30.39735N 86.60439W

   "Now what *you* need is a proper pint of porter poured in a proper
   pewter porter pot.."     --Peter Dalgaard in alt.sysadmin.recovery